In the last decade of the 1800’s the earliest white settlers were being served by the Rev. Thomas Greene, itinerant Anglican priest. St. Peter’s Church was built on the site of the present Anglican cemetery on Giant’s Head Road in Summerland. The Rev. H.A. Solly came in 1907 as the first resident rector. Owing to overcrowding and the need for a central location, the cornerstone for St. Stephen’s Church was laid on October 3, 1909. Services began there March 27, 1910. The distinctive exterior of the church is of native fieldstone, now ivy-clad.